Highway 61

Friday, March 30, 2007

La Dolce Vita

I'm in Roma but in two days I have to go homa. That's rich.

I was at the Vatican today. It was really amazing. What was so amazing is that I had to wait in line for two hours and then pay €4 to the wealthiest city-state on Earth, to go into a Basicilica for 45 minutes. St. Pete's Church is the largest in the world, and full of the greatest works of art on the planet, but c'mon. I was pressed up against other people's dandruff, gelled hair, pimples, bad teeth, bad hair cuts, bad clothes for too long. When I got out of there it was the real treat of the day!

I was admiring the Pope Mobile in the parking lot when an old guy with a ceareal bowl hat came up to me, made the sign of the cross, and said with a smile, "you toucha my car, I breaka you face." true story.

Then I stopped a nun to ask where the men's room was and she said, "sorry I don't work here."

Some of the best in Roman dishes, in English for my non-gastronomicly inclined friends and fam.

Spaghetti alla Carbonarra (bacon eggs and cheese)
Spaghetti alla Vongole (clams and parsley)
Artichoke and ricotta fritatta (best artichoke dish I've ever had!)
Gnocci with mushrooms, tomato, parsley, and pecorino
Gnocci al Ragù
Roman pizza which is different than Naples but delicious in its own way.
Pistachio Gelato

That's all I can remember at the moment Oh.. I had this Bruchetta with tomatoes and garlic and olive oil. Amazing. They know how to do tomatoes over here.

Lots more to say on Rome so stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home